Monday, September 28, 2009

Totally Custom TILES



As I wrote the heading for today's post, I thought of the shows that my brother-in-law loves about customizing motorcycles and cars.

Well, no long mustaches and tattooed arms here but you CAN customize a tile however you wish - and for much less money than what you would pay for one in the store. (Not to mention a lot less than a chopper!)

Hmmmm...maybe tiles deserve their own show too.

The tiles shown are in two sizes: 12x12 and 6x6. I use a Heritage Makers 12x12 page for each size because I can make FOUR 6x6 tiles from ONE 12x12 page. Now, THAT'S a huge value!

WHAT YOU NEED:



- 12x12 Heritage Makers page (contact me for discount printing)

- Design your own page or use a pre-designed template from the Template Gallery (I also have more that I can transfer to you - just ask!)

- Ceramic tile (available at any home improvement store - quality of tile doesn't matter, so you can get the really cheap ones. I wouldn't get one with two many bumps in it though)

- Mod Podge (I prefer matte for this)

- Foam brush (plate or bowl for putting the Mod Podge in)

- Paper trimmer/scissors

HOW TO:
Step 1

Design your 12x12 page and submit to publish. It will take a few days to receive it back but the quality of ink, color and paper is worth it!


Step 2

Trim the edges of your page to fit the tile.




Step 3

Apply a thin, even layer of Mod Podge to the top side of the ceramic tile.

Step 4

Lay the page on the tile and smooth out from the center to the edges. Bubbles may appear and the next step will help with this. Also, in my experience, I have found that I do what I can but the bubbles that do keep showing will flatten out after a day or two.




Step 5

Let the Mod Podge dry, then lay tile face (paper side) down on a flat, clean surface.

Put something heavy on it and leave it for awhile (30 minutes) or even overnight, if possible.



Step 6

After drying, turn tile over so that the paper side is showing again. Apply an even, thin layer of Mod Podge to the paper side.



Step 7

Let dry




That's it! Now you have a beautiful custom tile to display in your home or to give as a gift that will be treasured!

Please let me know if you have any questions.

(Template above is available. Just ask! :) )

Happy heritage making!

- Chris

No comments:

Post a Comment